The Independent Writing Departments and Programs Association (IWDPA) represents primarily departments and programs whose curricula and activities explore the production of written communication—exclusively or in relation to other modes of signification—and /or engage in the study of writers and the activity of writing in contemporary and historical contexts. It welcomes all types of freestanding academic units – from departments to programs to centers.
Its goals are to
- represent a diverse and geographically dispersed body of independent writing programs and departments
- foster communication among independent writing programs and departments
- investigate, clarify, and communicate the needs and interests of independent writing programs and departments
- promote collaboration among independent writing programs and departments in defining outcomes, generating research, and developing best practices for teaching and administration
- build and nurture alliances between independent writing programs and departments and related programs such as first year experience, Writing Centers, and WAC/WID
- support the growth of independent writing departments and programs by assisting those interested in creating such units in their home institutions
- investigate and promote discussion of and collaboration among undergraduate majors in writing and rhetoric
View the IWDPA Constituion
Who are We?
The IWDPA’s Executive Board and Executive Committee are elected positions that run for three (3) years. Elections and nominations are announced and organized via the IWDPA’s Freewrit listserv. If you’d like to be added to the listserv, select Contact Us from this website and send us your information.
Current Executive Committee (Term Running from 2018 – 2020)
|President||Sue Pagnac||Central College|
|Vice President||Jan Rieman||U of North Carolina at Charlotte|
|Past President||Alice Myatt||U of Mississippi|
Current Executive Board (by term)
|Laurie A. Pinkert||U of Central Florida||2017 – 2020|
|Justin Everett||University of the Sciences||2018 – 2021|
|Keri Franklin||Missouri State U||2018 – 2021|
|Cynthia Nahrwold||U of Arkansas at Little Rock||2018 – 2021|
|Anne-Marie Womack||Tulane U||2018 – 2021|
|Carey Clark||U of Central Arkansas||2019 – 2022|
|Denise Comer||Duke U||2019 – 2022|
|Caroline Dadas||Montclair State U||2019 – 2022|
|Jen Talbot||U of Central Arkansas||2019 – 2022|
Abhi Rao Iowa State University 2018–2020
Web Designer (Appointed)
Iowas State University 2018 – 2020
In 2019, the IWDPA Executive Board approved the status of Emeritus Member in order to recognize outstanding contributions to the association. Emeritus Members are members for life.
Arizona State University